News

UPDATE: No plan B for Plastic View – Rekord East

Not everyone living at the Plastic View informal settlement in the east of Pretoria will be relocated to a new planned “formal” townships only a short distance away.

In fact, indications are that most Plastic View residents will remain at the controversial squatter camp because they are mostly foreign nationals.

Out of the 853 families currently living at Plastic, only 151 families qualify to move at the new planned Pretorius Park extension 40 townships.

There appears to be no plan in place for undocumented foreign nationals living at the Plastic View informal settlement, also sometimes referred to as Woodlane.

ALSO READ: New Plastic View construction halted – because of printing error

This became apparent at a meeting between various stakeholders last week Wednesday at the NG Kerk Moreletapark in De Villebois Mareuil Drive.

The meeting was attended by representatives from the City of Tshwane, metro police and home affairs and social development.

Photo: Ron Sibiya

No one at the meeting knew of a plan to address the majority of undocumented nationals.

According to the metro, about 853 families reside at Plastic View.

“This number has most likely increased because of additional shacks being built,” said meeting coordinator Jackie Botha.

ALSO READ: Metro concerned about Plastic View murders

The construction of new shacks was one of the biggest issues in the camp, which according to a court order was supposed to have been monitored by the city.

In 2009, the Pretoria High Court made a series of orders aimed at the relocation or regularisation of the informal settlement.

“New shacks have been erected and it’s alleged someone is illegally selling land to people in that area,” said Botha.

An environmental assessment has been made by the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

The department said it was satisfied that the relocation would not contravene the National Environmental Act.

Metro spokesperson Lindela Mashigo previously said it was clear from the shack-marking and beneficiary registration process that majority of residents fell outside the prescripts as set out by the housing code.

Thus far, none of the officials at the meeting could give any clear indications on whether people at Plastic View not eligible for formal housing would be deported or continue living there.

Tshwane mayor Stevens Mokgalapa said the decision on what would happen to the undocumented residents was the Department of Home Affairs’ responsibility.

Photo: Ron Sibiya

He said the city was only in charge of the long-term housing development plan for the Pretorius Park establishment.

“On undocumented nationals, it is a matter for home affairs to intervene,” he said.

Home affairs have responded to Rekord’s queries yet.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East
Rekord North
Rekord Centurion
Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

News by Google – https://rekordeast.co.za/217835/update-no-plan-b-for-plastic-view/